Saturday, May 18, 2013

Idle Chatter With Course Updates

FROM THE GROUNDS
MAY 2013
Spring is quickly escaping us as we move into the end of May.  We have gotten a lot of work done and the course shows the progress that has been made even with the extra work that was put upon us with the flood.  For the most part we have achieved all the necessary duties during the timing that was necessary but for a few things.  Here are a few tidbits to either mark on your calendar or maybe even make you laugh a little.
Irrigation working properly on #10 Tee.

The irrigation system, “The Dragon” as I call it; has once again awakened for the season.  It took a lot of man hours but we finally have it operating properly.  My fingers are crossed that my old nemesis will maintain itself thus allowing me to maintain my sanity.
 
Solid tining provides benefits without the major disruption of pulling plugs.
The aerification process that I have used for the last few years is pretty membership friendly and it has all but been completed.  The only areas remaining to be aerified are the fairways.  Without the irrigation system operating properly, I had to delay fairway aerification to ensure the health of these 25 acres.  Now that the irrigation system is up to snuff….we will begin fairway aerification next week.  We will be solid tining the fairways so they should recover pretty quickly.
 
New #16 Tee.
I am happy to say the new #16 tee will open Friday May 24th just in time for the Memorial Day weekend.  It’s kind of a funny thought but I think some people may be upset.  Numerous members have said they like the temporary tee box as they have hit the green more often.  From that stand point I find it hard to say sorry but some good things must come to an end.
 
Andrew performing flood clean up.
In case you haven’t noticed the new face on the course this spring I wanted to mention Andrew Narlow.  Andrew is the new Assistant and I am happy to say the he is off to a great start.  Andrew is a hard working and diligent young man that is going the help me a great deal.  He has quite a few things to learn about the operation here but I am sure he will give the effort necessary to succeed.
 
Thinking about the heat makes me think of snow.  O-H-I-O!
I hope everyone has had a great spring thus far and are looking forward to some normal weather before the heat and humidity set in for the summer.  I am really looking for to the 2013 and the great things it will bring to the club.  I feel the same way every year about this time; ask me that in August and you may get a different answer.  For future, frequent updates follow the blog or follow me on twitter @idycc

Respectfully,

Kurt Sams, CGCS